The Academy of International Studies functions as a “school within a school” and provides students with the skills necessary to be successful in the twenty-first century and will empower all students to be engaged citizens of the world. The Academy will emphasize international studies through an integrated curriculum intertwined with global awareness of current issues. Students will be given the opportunity to develop relationships and experiences with other cultures, societies and people of the contemporary world.
The Academy is open to all students. Instruction will be relevant to the level of the students’ academic ability. Students will continue to study United States history and literature, but will be encouraged to view American culture against the broader background of world cultures.
In 2009 Independence High School was one of three CMS schools named to U.S. News & World Report’s ‘America’s Best High Schools’ list. Independence received a ‘Silver Medal’
Improvements in 2013 to the High School:
- A new State-of-the-Art Gymnasium with new locker rooms
- New front offices and entrance
- New Parking Area
- New Visitor Bleachers for the Football Field
- New Fence around Baseball field
- New Concession Stand for Football and Softball
Sports are HUGE at the Big I!
- Basketball team won the 2013 Conference, went on to compete in the State Playoffs and lost in 3rd round
- The Softball Team won 2012/2013 about some are its high school Conference
- The JV Football Team was named the 2012 Conference Champions
- The Varsity Football Team made it to the 2nd round of the 2012 State Playoffs
- The Golf Team is currently rated #1
- Independence High boost of two State Champion Wrestlers
- Independence High now has a Lacrosse Program